Time uses a picture of a young woman taking a selfie to demonstrate how fucked up our generation is
Why not use a picture of a 50 year old white male banker masturbating with mortgage papers into the mouth of a senator
8 Reasons Young Americans Don’t Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance
- Student-Loan Debt.
- Psychopathologizing and Medicating Noncompliance.
- Schools That Educate for Compliance and Not for Democracy.
- “No Child Left Behind” and “Race to the Top.”
- Shaming Young People Who Take Education—But Not Their Schooling—Seriously.
- The Normalization of Surveillance.
- Fundamentalist Religion and Fundamentalist Consumerism.
So what are young women left with? Abstinence-only education during the day and Girls Gone Wild commercials at night! Whether it’s delivered through a virginity pledge or by a barely dressed tween pop singer writhing across the television screen, the message is the same: A woman’s worth lies in her ability—or her refusal—to be sexual. And we’re teaching American girls that, one way or another, their bodies and their sexuality are what make them valuable.
school has just taught me so many helpful life lessons
like i don’t know what a mortgage is or how it works or what a tax refund is and how you even do taxes
but i know how to graph an imaginary number on a coordinate plane